Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Happy Birthday to Me!

42.

Doesn't seem right somehow.

I mean, 42 is a great number. And while I'm sure I thought 42 was old when I was 21, it seems right in the heart of useful adulthood from this perspective.

But I think it's time for some changes.

I can't become a biological father. Just won't happen without some kind of scientific miracle. (I'm not including cloning; nothing strikes me as less appealing than raising a copy of myself. Make of that what you will, hypothetical reader.) But if my new wife and I adopted a newborn today, I'd be 60 on the child's 18th birthday.

And with the way I'm taking care of my corporeal self, I don't think I'm going to make 60.

I didn't drink until I turned 27. There's alcoholism running through my family, and alcohol always scared me. But I found out about my infertility in the previous year, and I decided what the hell, that gene (assuming it's a genetic thing) wasn't going to be passed, and I'd see what the fuss was about. So on that birthday I had a margarita.

Well, it's 15 years later, and I drink too much. I like whiskey a lot; I like the taste, I like the effect. I don't like the next morning, and I don't like the feeling that I'm not as sharp, generally, as once I was.

So my present to myself this year is a wagon. Wish me luck with it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous TheWife said...

I will join you on the wagon as well. We are joined and I love you so immensely. Your life is my life... Your path is mine to discuss, argue and find compromise on.

I am, and will always, be here for you. Period.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! And best of luck (to you both) on that wagon thing.

-- MEL

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Karol said...

Happy birthday!

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

weddinggiftbasket.net gift idea, baby gift, business gift, gift certificate, wedding gift, birthday gift, anniversary gift, buy baby gift, gift card, unique gift, online gift, gift shop, wedding anniversary gift, personalized wedding gift, wedding gift idea, wedding party gift, unique wedding gift, wedding gift registry, wedding gift basket, 50th wedding anniversary gift, wedding gift for parent, wedding engagement gift, wedding shower gift, wedding gift etiquette, wedding gift bag

3:24 AM  
Anonymous extended auto warranty said...

car
extended review warranty
car gm
warranty
car extended max warranty
car warranty insurance best
new car warranty
best used car
warranty
gm extended car warranty
aftermarket car warranty car
warranty uk
ford car warranty
car direct warranty fidelity
car warranty
car manufacturer warranty
car auto warranty california
car used warranty
car gm used warranty
extended ford car warranty california
car extended warranty
car instant
quote warranty
mitsubishi car warranty
car nissan warranty auto
extended car warranty
buy car warranty
car citroen uk warranty car
extended honda warranty
car max
warranty
car continental warranty

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home